We all know the benefits of turmeric for humans. Many people use it for its anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidant capacity and numerous other health benefits. Did you know that turmeric is also great for dogs? If you’re already buying Golden Paste for your dogs (upwards of $40 CDN a jar!!), or you just want to add this healthy paste to your dog’s diet, this recipe is for you. Not only is this recipe extremely quick and easy to make, but the cost savings are significant. Additionally, you can control what goes in and adjust the recipe to best suit you and your dog.
What is Golden Paste?
Also known as Turmeric Paste, Golden Paste is a turmeric-based paste that can be taken orally by pets (or humans). It is a combination of turmeric, oil (coconut oil or another neutral oil), water, ground black pepper and other spices (eg. Cinnamon or ginger) heated until melted and turned into a paste.
Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. The main active ingredient in turmeric is Curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a strong antioxidant.
What are the Benefits of Golden Paste for Dogs?
- Antibiotic, anti-inflammatory properties and hormone-free
- Helps digestive support and immune function
- Can help with allergies, pain and skin irritations
- Helps to treat arthritis and joint pain
- Encourages healthy heart and liver function
Other health benefits may include cancer prevention, treating depression and preventing other chronic illnesses.
How much Golden Paste should my dog get?
Most people recommend about a 1/2 tsp per 20 pounds. Start off with less, and slowly work your way up. As with any herbal supplement, be careful not to give you dog too much. If you are concerned that Golden Paste may not be right for your dog, or concerned about the amount, please consult your vet.
How to Make Golden Paste
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of ground turmeric (fresh or dried)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil or ghee
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon or ginger
- Mix all ingredients in a small pot over medium-low heat
- Stir frequently until paste forms and oil melts (about 7-10 minutes)
- Transfer to a jar with an airtight lid and allow to cool fully at room temperature
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months
Warning – Turmeric stains! Be very cautious of any materials being used and also counters, as permanent stains can occur.
How to Use Golden Paste
- Mix it into food
- Add it to a treat recipe
- Add it to a Kong, Toppl or other stuffed food item
- Include it in a dog smoothie or broth