Looking for a quick and easy baked treat that your dog will love? These Sweet Potato Honey cookies are delicious and oh so easy to make. With only 4 ingredients, this healthy vegetarian cookie is one your dog will be begging for.
For this recipe we used a mixture of chickpea flour and oat flour (hint – you can whiz up oats in your blender to turn them into a powder to make oat flour!), but you can use any dog safe flour you prefer. If the dough is moist, add a bit more flour and continue kneading until it can be rolled out. If you don’t often bake rolled cookies, keep in mind you may need to flour your work station and tools (rolling pin / cookie cutters) to keep the dough from sticking!
Remember, your dog doesn’t care what these look like, so to keep it easy you may prefer to just cut these with a knife or pizza cutter. If you want to make cute shapes using cookie cutters you can reroll remaining dough until it is all used up.
These treats are great for dog training or just as an extra reward for being their adorable selves!
Sweet Potato Honey Dog Treats Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25-30 mins
Yield: About 50, depending on size
- 2.5 cups dog safe flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl, mix the sweet potato, egg, honey and flour. Mix thoroughly (should resemble a thick cookie dough)
- Lightly flour surface with dog friendly flour
- Knead on counter, adding additional flour until dough forms a ball. You are looking for a consistency that is suitable for rolling
- Roll dough out to 1/4″ thick or less, and cut into shapes using cookie cutters, a glass or a pizza cutter
- Place on cookie sheets. These cookies do not rise or spread, so minimal space is needed between treats
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Cookies should be lightly browned and dry
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before moving
Store in an air-tight container up to 6 months for completely dry, crisp treats
Note: Once cooled, if treats have not reached desired dryness, they can be placed back in to the oven to dry out further
Enjoy this recipe? Check out some of our other recipes likes Pyramid Pan Beet Turkey Dog Treats, Frozen Yogurt and Applesauce Dog Treats or Veggie-Packed Meatball Dog Treats!
8 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Honey Dog Treats”