Who doesn’t love a good deviled egg? They’re such a treat! The human version, usually made with mayonnaise, paprika and onions, is not dog friendly. In fact, paprika and onions are not something that should be served to your dogs. Paprika, while not toxic to dogs, can cause excessive thirst and an upset stomach. Onions are considered toxic to dogs and can cause various symptoms including upset stomach, lack of coordination and even liver damage in certain quantities.
These deviled eggs are safe for dogs, yummy and overall just a fun treat to spoil your pups on Easter or a summer picnic, or any other occasion! If you’re already making a batch of deviled eggs for yourself, why not set aside a couple eggs and whip some up for you dog as well? These are so fun and cute you might just want to snack on a few yourself too!
This recipe can easily be doubled. Feel free to add any other dog safe herbs, or if you wanted to make this extra special you could even add in a bit of dog safe pate! There are lots of options to make these special and personalize them. Most of all, have fun and enjoy! Your dogs certainly will.
To make hard-boiled eggs
- Place eggs in pot
- Fill with water, ensuring eggs are submerged by at least an inch
- Bring water and eggs to a boil
- Remove from heat and cover with lid
- Let sit for 12 mins
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water
To make Dog-Friendly Deviled Eggs
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins (for hard-boiled eggs)
- Yield: 6
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- Cracked pepper
- Parsley or mint (fresh or dried)
- Peel eggs (hint – after you crack the egg on the counter, roll it on the counter or between your palms. This will help the membrane separate from the egg white. Also, older eggs tend to be easier to shell)
- Rinse the eggs with water
- Cut the eggs in half length-wise
- Using a spoon, remove the egg yolk and place in a separate bowl
- Add yogurt, turmeric and pepper to the bowl with the eggs yolks
- Mix thoroughly
- Spoon or pipe into egg whites
- Garnish with parsley or mint
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Did your dog enjoy this recipe? Check out some of our other recipes including Sweet Potato Honey Dog Treats, Veggie-Packed Meatball Dog Treats or Pyramid Pan Beet Turkey Dog Treats!
One thought on “Dog-Friendly Deviled Eggs”